Frequently Asked Questions
- Hat Care
- Kerry Kernan would like you and your hat to have a long and happy life together! Due to this it is recommended that you:
• Only handle your hat with clean, dry hands.
• Pick up your hat by the back or front of its brim to avoid loss of shape.
• Never place your hat on its brim. If you don't have a hat stand, stuff with tissue paper and store in a hat box to keep its shape. This will also prevent fading in the sunlight.
• Avoid folding your hat which could result in a broken or bent wire.
Your hat is suitable for cold weather but really won't like the rain. Please make sure your hat
does not get wet as this could damage the shape of it.
If you are 'caught short', do not use a blow dryer or other heating source to dry a wet hat.
Gently blot any large drops and leave the hat to air dry.
A gentle hat brush can be used to brush off any lint, making sure you go the direction of the
fibres and never back and forth.
- Fascinator Care
- To ensure that your fascinator lives a long and healthy life, please follow the advice below:
Apply hairspray before putting on your fascinator - hairspray kills feathers!
Store away from direct sunlight and away from dust - preferably in a box
If storing in tissue, please use the acid free tissue provided
- How does your sizing work?
- All ladies blocked hats are blocked between 56-58 cm.
The gentleman's crown block is 61cm.
Hats can be made smaller by adding a padded band to the inside of the hat or can be made larger using a hat stretcher.
These amendments would need to be requested when placing an order.
- How can I measure my head?
- The tape measure should wrap around the head, slightly above the ears and eyebrows. It should feel snug but not tight. It is often useful to have someone else measure for you to avoid error, and take the average of three measurements.
- How do you price your items?
- All hats are priced on materials and time required to complete your order. Prices are listed on the website for those items already made but I would be delighted to provide a quote a for custom orders.
- I don't see any men's hats on your site, do you design for men?
- I certainly do and they are often modelled by my husband! These tend to be custom orders but will appear from time to time on my website. Please see my gallery for examples of my work.
- Do you take custom orders?
- I absolutely do! Kerry Kernan is happy to take custom orders for bridal, races, costume or any other event. Please contact me via my contact form with a description of the custom item you'd like created, your location and your desired delivery date and a quote will be provided.
If you are able to visit me, I offer a hat consultation service where your ideas can be discussed over tea and cake!
- Why buy something handmade?
- I want to provide you with something unique and long lasting that was made with the greatest of care. I believe it is important for you to have a hat that is made exactly to your own requirements and will be something that you can't find in a High Street shop! As much as possible, I want your hat purchase to be a hat experience and so I aim for 100% 'hat-isfaction' from all clients!
- How long do your orders take to complete?
- My lead times are based on duration of time to complete, and availability of materials. When an order is requested, I will provide you with an estimate for completion. Please generally allow 2-3 weeks for delivery for a made to order piece, and 3-5 weeks from order to delivery for custom pieces. Having said that, should you have the need for a hat in a shorter time frame, please get in touch. It may be that I have a window in which I can work with you to meet your need.
- Postage And Packaging
All items of jewellery/hair accessories will arrive wrapped in tissue and placed in a hand stamped gift box.
All items of millinery will arrive wrapped in tissue and in either a tiara/fascinator box or a larger hat box.
All other items will arrive wrapped in tissue and placed in a hand stamped gift bag.
Small items (jewellery, mirrors, purses)
1st class post £2
2nd class post £1.80
1st class post £3 (signed for)
2nd class post £2.80 (signed for)
Medium items (handbags, larger hair accessories, tiaras, smaller fascinators)
1st class post £3.50
2nd class post £3.00
1st class post £4.60 (signed for)
2nd class post £4.40 (signed for)
Large items (hats, larger fascinators)
Courier door to door service with signature upon delivery. 3 day delivery service.
- Will you combine postage for multiple purchases?
- I certainly will! You will find that the website will charge you for the postage on each item but I will refund an amount to you based on the postage being combined.
- International Shipping
- I will happily ship internationally. Please contact me for further details and a quote.
- What is your return policy?
- Unfortunately returns or exchanges cannot be accepted on the following items:
-Hats and fascinators
-Any items that have been altered
All deposits taken are non refundable and any changes to orders may incur extra costs.
On production of your proof of purchase:
-Faulty items will either be replaced or repaired (where possible) or exchanged, or refunded within 14 days of purchase
-All items should still have original packaging and be in a re-saleable condition.
Please look through our FAQ section and if you still can't find an answer to your question feel free to contact us directly here.